- Why did the children's father, the King, re-marry so suddenly?
- Why was he so quick to turn against his own children?
- Why was the wicked stepmother so wicked?
- What really happened to the brothers when they were enchanted?
- How did their sister find the strength to endure so much pain to restore her brothers based on nothing but a dream?
|U.K. First Edition|
|Current U.K. PB|
People often talk about 'creating fantasy worlds' but I wanted to use real landscapes to make my fairytale real. And, hopefully, to make readers fall in love with the landscapes that are dear to me.
Most of all, I wanted to write a really cracking good story, and I hope I've succeeded.
The Swan Kingdom was short-listed for the 2008 Lincolnshire Young People's Book Award, nominated for a 2008 Cybil Award in the Young Adult SF category, long-listed for the Branford Boase Award for 2008, and is on in the USBBY List of Outstanding International Books for 2009. It is also on the International Reading Association Young Adult's Choices Booklist 2010 and the American Library Association's List of Popular Paperbacks for 2010.
Read an exerpt of the first chapter here.
And this is the book trailer I made!