Wednesday 2 October 2013

A SAD ANNOUNCEMENT

Hello, my lovelies. I'm going to try to keep this short, because writing about it turns me into a giant weeping mess. But after considering it for a few days, I decided that you guys would need to know what was going on with me.

So here goes.

My father, who you've read about on my blog many times, and for whom I've been caring over the last several years, has recently been told that his condition is now terminal. The treatments that he's having are no longer efficient, and there's nothing more that the doctors can do for him. He most likely won't live to see Christmas this year.

I've always been incredibly close to my dad. He's always been the biggest cheerleader for my writing career, the one who always got all my jokes, no matter how weird, and the person I could always count on to get out of bed in the middle of the night and drive thirty miles through a snowstorm to pick me up from some railway station in the middle of nowhere when the last service was cancelled. And now he's dying.

I am, to put it mildly, devastated.

Over the coming weeks and months, I may occasionally post just as normal, answering your questions, updating you about what I'm working on, or ranting. At other times, I might not post at all. Almost all of my energy is going to go towards trying to make my dad comfortable and happy during his final days, and into trying to sort out all the horrible, tangled, legal and financial details that come up at times like these. If there's anything left over, which there may not be, it will probably go into writing that I've got deadlines for, rather than into this blog - much as I love it, and love you all.

Please send good thoughts to my father and me, Dear Readers. Don't forget me while I'm gone. I don't really seem to know much of anything at the moment, but I do hope that I will be OK again one day, and this blog will be a happy place, even if it's never quite the same as it was before.

For the same reasons listed above, I might not reply to comments on this post. But I promise that I will read and appreciate each one.

26 comments:

Suzanne Furness said...

So sorry to hear your news. My thoughts are with you and your dear father. Take all the time you need, and remember if you need a cyber shoulder to cry on there is always someone out here waiting to listen and offer support. Take care.

Krispy said...

Oh Zoë, I am so, so sorry to hear this, and I hope that you will manage and be as okay as can be expected through this. My thoughts and sympathies to you and your dad. You absolutely should spend your time and energy on making what time you and your dad have the best. Remember to take care of yourself too. Hugs, hugs, hugs.

Eleanor said...

Sorry to hear that, it must have been very difficult to write that post! My thoughts are with you and your dad, take all the time away that you need, we'll still be here after xxx

emmac said...

Oh Zoe, so sorry to hear your sad news. Sending you hugs and kind thoughts, EmmaX

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I cannot imagine how you are feeling and I will not pretend to either.

Take care of your father, this must be difficult for him, and take good care of yourself as well.

We will be here, praying, sending good thoughts and digitally holding your hand through these hard times.
Lots and lots of hugs

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

*hugs* I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Alex Mullarky said...

All my love, hope you're okay x

R.J. Anderson said...

Oh, Zoë, I am so very very sorry. Please don't feel guilty or blame yourself for not writing regular blog posts - being with your Dad and taking care of your own emotional and mental (and physical!) health is so much more important at a time like this. Be gentle with yourself, and know that your readers and friends will support you. My prayers are with you and your family.

Amy said...

Sorry to hear this sad news Zoë, sending love to you and your family.

Trish Doller said...

So sorry, Zoë. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Sophie said...

Oh Zoe, my heart is heavy for you and for your Dad. You are both in my thoughts. (((hugs)))

Maureen E said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. My dad passed away last year because of brain cancer and it's one of the hardest things that can happen. Wishing you grace and strength.

Rachel Balcombe said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, Zoe. Don't feel bad about not posting, I think we all understand that difficult doesn't even begin to cover what you're going through at the moment. I'll be praying for you and your dad, and the rest of your family.

Q said...

There are no words. <3

NicoleL said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sending thoughts full of strength to you and your dad.

ELAdams said...

I'm so sorry, Zoe! :( I don't blame you for taking time away from the blog. My thoughts are with you and your family. <3

Lynsey Newton said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Zoe but please know you've got an army of friends and supporters you can count on if you need someone to talk to. Spend as much time with your dad as you can x

Kaye M. said...

So very, very sorry to hear this. God bless you and your family in this hard time. <3

Isabel said...

Zoe, I'm sending so much love to you both. hope you're doing okay xx

Anonymous said...

Zoe, Gosh what do you say. Wishing you and your father comfort and all the happiness you can achieve in this horrible outcome - may the days you have left with him be those of memories and laughter - that you will remember for a life time and have collected over a life time. And know that he will always be with you in your heart - Love Last Longer Than Anything in this world, including beyond.

Mulch said...

I wish you and your father every happiness Miss Marriot- may the sun shine on both of your shoulders eternally.

Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling said...

I am so, so sorry Zoe. All my thoughts are with you and your dad, I can't imagine what you are going through but I know you are strong and will make the most of the time you have with your dad. Love and hugs xxx

Saya said...

Oh Zoe.

So many feels. Huge, huge hugs from here. I'll be thinking of you, your dad and the rest of your family. Take all the time you need, make sure your dad knows that tons of people who know you love him, too. If you need anything, or if there is anything I can do, please tell me.

Love.

Sarah said...

I'm so so sorry to hear your news Zoe. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through but I wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you all. Look after yourself and spend as much time together as you can - forget about the blog & everything else, we'll all still be here for you when you get back.

*hugs*

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish you and your dad all the hapiness in the world. *hugs*

Sarah Rees Brennan said...

I am so, so, so sorry, Zoe. You are such a kind good person and I wish the world was less unfair and arbitrary. If you need anything, even if it's just someone to send you silly jokes to cheer you on a bad day, do let me know. I send you all my good wishes and sympathies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...