Tuesday 18 October 2011

MY WEEK SO FAR: An illustrated History

Normally, when people say 'A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words', I get really huffy. You know, just on principle. But today...today, I find that I have no words. So pictures will have to do.

As you know, Dear Readers, this week I was intending to start work on revisions of Book One of Big Secret Project. Now, every book is different, and with some books the revision and re-writing before I send the draft to my agent and editor is a dread thing. But Big Secret Project makes me so happy, Dear Readers. It gives me giggles and rainbow sparkles and fluffy unicorn lulz. So when I say that I was eager to begin work on the revisions, I'm understating. In fact, the idea of diving back into my beloved project made me feel like this:

Monday morning came, and as you also know (if you were paying attention) I was unearthed from bed quite early by a distress call from my mother and her ailing computer. But after a few hours of pressing buttons and swearing and burning offerings to the Tech Gods, I got it up and working and was able to return to my own computer and my beloved BSP. And I was pleased:

But then, when my mum came back from work, there was another distress call. Her computer was Doing It Again.


Further fiddling, consultation with a Computer Support Person, and a bucketful of tears later, we came to the realisation that the problem with my mother's beloved laptop was not one that could be fixed by mere human intervention. And the Tech Gods weren't listening. And as the only computer literate person in the immediate vicinity, it was going to be my job to jump in there and do damage control.

Complete system back-up while the thing was still whirring away. Quick research on the cheapest alternative model and an order. Quickly checking and writing down all the passwords for various websites and systems that my mum never bothered to remember because she had the computer set to automatic login. A million tasks presented themselves to me, and took up pretty much the whole day. At the end of it, I staggered away and collapsed in front of the TV, brain dead.

But at least I could get to work tomorrow, right?

WRONG.

In an act of such painfully annoying efficiency that it makes me want to sharpen my teeth with a pencil sharpener and then bite someone, somehow the replacement computer arrived yesterday morning, less than twenty-four hours after I ordered it.

This was the cause of great rejoicing for the aforementioned mother, but not so much for me as it was of course going to be my task to set up this new computer, transfer every single file and folder from the old one to it, download all the freeware (like iTunes, VLC Media Player and various anti-virus and malware programmes) and introduce my mum to scary new features like a power button and power socket in a completely different area than she was used to. In other words? No writing on Tuesday.


But tomorrow! Tomorrow it's all going to be fine, right? Computer crisis averted! Nothing to do but write, write, write!

Er...no. Because just after dinner I got a call from the plumber telling me that he and his crew would be coming around to do fiddly work in my attic in order to make my boiler safe. And anyone who can write with workmen traipsing through the house, demanding cups of tea and making the dog go into a barking fit every twenty seconds is a better man than I am Gunga Din.

My current mood?


That little scree-scree-scree noise you hear? That's me sharpening my fangs after all.

Lesson: do not keep writers from their words. IT MAKES THEM DANGEROUS AND UNSTABLE.

*Chomp*

19 comments:

Hannah @ Dragons and Whimsy said...

Oh god! We've lost her to the old gods! GET THE FUDGE OUT OF HERE!!

Zoë Marriott said...

HannaH: LOL! You've clearly understood the situation with one glance.

Hannah @ Dragons and Whimsy said...

All too often has my writing/reading been interrupted by noise and other things. >:( I know all too well. In fact, the biggest excuse for me not writing fiction so far, "Can't focus with all this noise!" Can't wait to move and have some peace and quiet!

serendipity_viv said...

Erm, would probably write this week off and start again on Monday. Doesn't look like writing will be in your plans for this week. #justsaying

Zoë Marriott said...

Viv: Nooooo! Do you WANT my eyes to come out of my nose again??

Alex Mullarky said...

Dude, I'm sorry. Nowhere to go but up right? My computer is being a [insert bad word here] too. Writer's worst nightmare.

Jenni (Juniper's Jungle) said...

Wow, that is quite a series of rubbish things all happening together. Hope the rest of the week is easy and smooth sailing and writing filled!

Zoë Marriott said...

Alex: yes, and sometimes the only way out is through. I am chanting that to myself constantly. Good luck with your %£@?*! computer, too.

Zoë Marriott said...

Jenni: And things have continued to get worse today. *Sigh* I think this week may be a total write-off.

Rebecca Lindsay said...

Haha, if worst comes to worst you could always lock your front door, unplug the phones and set your dog to ward off any unwelcome visitors lol. It may be extreme but.....,*in a very serious voice,* it might be the only way....

Zoë Marriott said...

Rebecca: Ha! My dog would lick unwelcome visitor's hands and lead them to the door! And besides, I'm still waiting for the plumbers...

Rebecca Lindsay said...

You could put a note on the door saying you've moved lol

Zoë Marriott said...

Rebecca: *Wails* But then I'll never get my boiler fixed!

Rebecca Lindsay said...

Haha, I can see your dilema :)

Isabel said...

Oh, dear. How horrific!!

Some evil force is trying to keep Zolah from her writing... *looks around suspiciously*

But TOMORROW! Tomorrow will be different!!! ;)

Don't worry, eventually you'll be able to get back to BSP. Deeep breaths, Zolah. That's it.

Zoë Marriott said...

Isabel: It's the evil force of everyday life! This is one of those times when I want to hide in a cave somewhere...

Megz said...

Uh-oh.

Someone's out to get you, Zoe. Make sure you lock the door on your way out -.-

Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling said...

hahah I hope this was all rememdied by Thursday Zoe! you look scary in that last pic!

Zoë Marriott said...

Megha: I think it was fate - but possibly it was karma taking away some luck earlier in the week so that I'd have more for later :)

Raimy: It was definitely remedied by Thursday, and I'm now back to my normal mild mannered, bespectacled self.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...