Thursday 2 February 2012

MUSICAL MAYHEM

Oh, phew! I'm so relieved to be here, even if it's a day later than originally planned.

Dear Readers, I appeal to you for forgiveness. I know I broke routine and didn't post yesterday, but that's because my internetz went for a Burton as soon as I tried to log on and I spent Wednesday helplessly trying to get access to any vaguely useful site. At first only Blogger and Twitter seemed out of reach. Then Facebook went the same way. In could intermittently get ONTO the internet, but then everything would freeze.

After several hours of frustratedly restarting my computer and modem, running diagnostics, trying to check the Status page on the ISP website (which I couldn't see because, duh, my internet wouldn't connect to it) and a frustrating phonecall to the company, I admit that I finally gave up. Sorry. It was that or accept my brain transforming to scrambled eggs within my skull out of sheer rage at the sight of the stupid swirly blue egg-timer.

Happy as I am that my access has come back with today's bright new (well - drizzly, grey) dawn, I can't for the life of me remember what I was actually going to post about. You've probably noticed by now that, unlike bloggers of the business-like and organised variety, I don't schedule posts in advance - I just write whatever appeals to me on the evening before or the morning of a posting day. And whatever its topic was, Wednesday's original post also seems to have gone for a Burton. Sorry again.

So let's have some music recommendations instead!

Last week I happened across this amazing band (they're actually a twosome - two singers, one guitar) called The Civil Wars. I love, love, love their stripped back, accoustic sound. It's incredibly heartfelt and raw, and I've been listening to their album more or less non-stop since I downloaded it. Here's a quick taste:





However, I soon found myself craving something hardcore, and went searching for bands that would give me a contrasting Goth/Emo vibe. As a result I downloaded some We Are The Fallen:



And some Red:





Which in turn lead me to search for something a bit power ballady. I found Anywhere But Here by Safetysuit and was pleased:



And those are my music recs for the month of January :) What are you listening to right now?

6 comments:

Isabel said...

Glad you're back, Zoe! :) Happy February!

Jenni said...

Ooh I've enjoyed listening to all of those :) I hadn't heard anything by The Civil Wars and I wasn't sold on them from the first song but the second song definitely won me over. I was introduced to SafetySuit last week, they're definitely going to be one of my February bands.

Amy said...

Awesome music :)
At the moment I’m a bit obsessed with Nightwish. I really like their album Imaginaerum, Storytime and The Crow, The Owl and The Dove in particular. Also Florence and the Machine and Believer by Kill Hannah.

Zoë Marriott said...

Isabel: Thanks! I was cross to miss posting on the first of the month.

Jenni: Well, that's a live thingie they did for their YouTune channel - it's not on their album. But I love their quiet, delicate stuff, as well as the more blue-grassy vibe.

Amy: Hee! We obviously have very similar musical tastes :)

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

Awesome picks. I am loving Safety Suit.

Zoë Marriott said...

Emma: Thanks, hun :) Sometimes you just need that power ballad to wail along to, you know?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...